Ekphrastic poem set #2

Words and Wings

Art by Anthony Francisco


Fingers and Talons


You always fall

Slipping loose from those delicate ropes

but one thread holds to harness,

as your fingers do

gripping my talons.


It is strange thought. Companion?

I am all that keeps you alive

My wings, my claws, my eyes, my roars.


I am the only color here, more blue than the sky

red would not suit any of us.

Be still, and should you slip

I will carry you,

friend, always.


Art by Dan Milligan


Gold and Amber


The flagon we have shared

is almost empty,

the dish forgotten beside it

as I hold you up


The white you wear

and the gold which adorns you

gifts of rank, of blind love

yet I am who you pour yourself out to like wine.


Any who try to call you

any who disturb you

any who make you weep

shall see my golden eyes


my horns will be the circlet they receive

and my teeth the white they meet.

I am yours, as you gave yourself to me

my amber scales offer all they can.


Art by William Smith


Sand and Wind


Ah, finally!

It’s taken you months to do this.

months of falling off my back,

dropping the bright white cloth I hold

the fabric which came from your cloak.


Now I may rise from the sand

with you my only company.

As you cheer in joy,

your elder watches on in awe,

and I brace my legs, throwing sand from my wings.


the sandy colored leather which fascinated you,

which drew you to me, despite spines and claws.

That first time you met my eyes

and gasped as I looked back.

How far we have come together since!


The time was well spent.

We are both better for it.

I am proud of you,

you are brave to have dared this,

and I lucky to have shown you, my student of flight.


Art by Stephan Martiniere


Silk and Silver


Were you not here,                                                                  but you hum that it must be so.

I would destroy them,                                                             and though i wish to honor you,

I growl in defiance of their insults.                                         I will heed your thought,

Baring teeth and smoke of unborn flames.                             and honor you with my trust instead.


But the feel of a gloved hand

holds my fury back, only just.
Mottled leather on wide scales,

I settle for hissing at your wish.


My lady clothed in silken blues and brown,

gauntlets and gloves mark you apart.

Extra fabric, a mockery of what you once called a bustle,

your corset is laced with metal and is quality armor.


I gleam silver in even the poorest light,
I can see my reflection in their eyes, in yours, every plate and scale shines.

They fear us both.

Fear we have not earned.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beyond the Body

Gethen as a cure for Gender

Gender and Sexual Minorities and their Rights